Author Topic: Salome's Last Dance  (Read 8473 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Salome's Last Dance
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 11:49:25 PM »
I hadn't thought of it before, but when you watch a film on the computer screen you are very close to the screen (my head is now 2-3 feet from the screen) whereas watching television you tend to be almost the other end of the room. So as you said, on the computer screen you see much more.  Worth revising the whole of Ken's films on the computer?  Well, any excuse to watch his films again.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:26:05 AM »
Some films look better on the big screen. Some films look better on the TV screen. And some films look better on a computer screen. For example . . . "Lair of the White Worm." If you'll remember, when the sun is out, and Lady Sylvia Marsh (Amanda Donohoe) is at Mercy Farm, she is wearing a pair of stylish sunglasses. But, when it begins to rain, and she is in the car, she is no longer wearing sunglasses. So, where did they go? It was not till I was watching a clip from the film on YouTube, did I realize she had laid them on the dashboard of her car.

That's what I like about Ken's films. Beyond "Lair of the White Worm," there is an air of realism to his films: "Billion Dollar Brain," "The Boyfriend," etc.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:31:35 AM »
I've tried to access the website, and I find you need a "Flash 9" or higher to access it. Which I don't have on my computer.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »
I don't get it that way either- I still get the message that "this video is currently unavailable".  Maybe for copyright they limit access per country (I am in the UK) or maybe it is just me.

But I have the DVD so it doesn't really affect me.  I hope other people can get it- it is worth watching.

Iain

Offline Nick Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 04:00:14 AM »
I've just tried the link, and it still works for me.

Try going to the home page, www.fancast.com/movies, and see if you can access it that way.

They have The Lair of the White Worm, too, although I'd rather have people buy it, since it's available in all regions.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:08:08 PM »
If I try to play the link I get a message that it is no longer available.

I agree it is a superb film.  I like the Melies influenced scenery and especially Imogen Millais Scott's performance.  I can play my DVD of it time and again.  It shows what the later Ken can do if he is given a proper budget and tackles his own choice of subject.

It is also a subject with three masterpieces in different genres: Richard Strauss' opera Salome, Steven Berkoff's version of Oscar Wilde's play and of course Ken's film.  If I owned a venue I would do a whole day with all three of them!!

Offline Nick Jones

Salome's Last Dance
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:17:33 AM »
For those who haven't seen Salome's Last Dance, especially those who can't play Region 2 DVDs, it can be seen here:

http://www.fancast.com/movies/Salomes-Last-Dance/12807/793908713/Salomes-Last-Dance%3A-Full-Feature/videos

I haven't seen it in about twenty years; it's actually better than I remember it. :)