Author Topic: Richard Crouse on Ken Russell's "The Devils"  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Richard Crouse on Ken Russell's "The Devils"
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »
I agree it had limited research- to think Isadora with Vanessa Redgrave is by Ken is a reasonable mistake, unless you had actually seen Ken's film Isadora Duncan.  Writing about films without having seen them is just bluffing.  As you say lots of other errors, and I didn't learn anything new, but I did find it a good quick read, maybe it was a good reason to be nostalgic.

I did have the very strange experience of reading the book in the tube (subway), and suddenly coming across a paragraph where I am mentioned and quoted.  You instantly want to tell all the other passengers (fortunately I didn't).

The BFI (British Film Institute) have done a lot of good work on Ken, both in issuing his work and showing his films.

Iain

Offline richmond74

Re: Richard Crouse on Ken Russell's "The Devils"
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
I just finished reading this. Maybe I know too much about this film already but I found it a generally scant and sloppily researched tome drawing on a too-limited reserve of sources and peppered with minor but silly inaccuracies. There's little sense of independent research but you'll get a better sense - and one blessed with brevity - of the film by reading the BFI liner notes to the recent DVD release.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Richard Crouse on Ken Russell's "The Devils"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:38:55 PM »
Richard Crouse discussing his book on Ken

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QALeQdaNC4

The book is good but does contain errors- more soon