Author Topic: Billion Dollar Brain  (Read 6987 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Billion Dollar Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:45 PM »

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »
Bernard Rose on Billion Dollar Brain:

"Ken is basically on this film by mistake..."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/trailers-from-hell-bernard-rose-on-billion-dollar-brain

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
My problem is that if I watch his bad films repeatedly I start noticing little bits (minute bits in b$b and mindbender) that I start appreciating it more.  This is my root to geek-hood.

Iain

Yes, that is one of the things I like about Ken's films. They are so filled with minute bits, that no matter how many times you watch them. You always notice something new.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »
My problem is that if I watch his bad films repeatedly I start noticing little bits (minute bits in b$b and mindbender) that I start appreciating it more.  This is my root to geek-hood. [added later- geek-hood: aleady there: route not root]

Iain
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:15:53 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:46:41 PM »
Agreed.  Ken can't do action films, and the film does drag a lot.  I watched it again and I liked the imagery, but this was at the cost of the film.

Worst Ken film: B$B or Mindbender?  Probably Mindbender.

"Mindbender" That is one Ken film I have yet to see, but must see. If only to see if there is one of his films that I dislike more than "B$B."

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:56 PM »
Agreed.  Ken can't do action films, and the film does drag a lot.  I watched it again and I liked the imagery, but this was at the cost of the film.

Worst Ken film: B$B or Mindbender?  Probably Mindbender.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »
"Billion $ Brain" may not be the worst film Ken has ever made, but it is certainly my least favorite of those I have seen. I hated it so much, the first and only time I saw it, if I had known it had been made by Ken, I might not have never seen another one of his films. And looking at the images, I doubt if I'd have liked it any better on a second go round.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 01:47:40 AM »
I've updated the site on Billion Dollar Brain
www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-film-billion-dollar-brain.html

Donald Sutherland on the right
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:50:41 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Billion Dollar Brain
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:36:09 PM »
An article "How altered aspect ratios on TV ruin feature films" by Nick Gillis on |Den of Geek here:
www.denofgeek.com/movies/1028066/how_altered_aspect_ratios_on_tv_ruin_feature_films.html

"British television despises films, it seems. Every day, UK channels alter the very shape of the movies we watch, otherwise known as their aspect ratio.

Old films that are almost square will often have the top and bottom cut off to fit the shape of modern 16:9 screens – The Ladykillers, screened this month, is but one example. Big films shot in Panavision (Master And Commander, for example) will frequently have the left and right hand portions of the image cropped for the same purpose.

...This isn’t just geeky nitpicking, either. Your first exposure to a director’s work is likely to be on television, and in the case of Ken Russell, a poorly presented version of one of his films may discourage viewers from seeking out other examples of his work. This is particularly true of his 1967 movie, Billion Dollar Brain, which I’ll come back to later.

How much worse, then, is the offence of changing the aspect ratio of a movie? Two films of Len Deighton’s books illustrate the barbarity of fitting everything to 16:9. The Ipcress File is famous for its angles and split screen work – that is, unless it’s aired by the BBC.

Billion Dollar Brain has often been regarded as inferior to The Ipcress File. That’s because most people have seen it on TV. Ken Russell had a gift for composition, filling his wide screen with memorable images: the helmets of soldiers as they wait to invade Russia, or Helsinki in winter, for instance..."

I've never liked Billion Dollar Brain but someone else recommended it to me as well, so maybe I need to re-watch.