Author Topic: Tommy at the BFI in London  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Tommy at the BFI in London
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 01:09:00 AM »
Wow, I wish I had been in the audience

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »
I can add that the audience rushing the stage in Elton's Pinball Wizard was not planned. It was a spontaneous gesture made by the audience extras.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 11:41:27 PM »
I saw Tommy at the BFI, so good to see it on a cinema screen.  And despite previous warning of French subtitles, the BFI seem to have found a good copy as there were no subtitles.

Best scenes are of course the set pieces, Tina Turner's Acid Queen, Elton's Pinball Wizard, a drugged out Eric Clapton in the Marilyn Monroe church performing Eyesight for the Blind.

The BFI programme by Frank Miller mentions then newcomer George Lucas was asked to direct, but he chose to do American Graffiti instead.  Candidates for the Pinball Wizard were Tiny Tim and Rod Stewart, and for the Acid Queen a candidate was Bowie. Christopher Lee was originally in the role that Jack Nicholson took on.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Tommy at the BFI in London
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »
The British Film Institute are showing Tommy from 22-30 Nov 2019. 

"Ken Russell interprets The Who’s concept album as a mix of high-energy kitsch and darker psychological nightmare."

But "We have imported a print from France for these screenings as there is no longer a good print available in this country. The print will have French subtitles which we hope will not impair your enjoyment."  Sad there is no good print available in the UK.

Details are here
http://www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-news.html

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:25:56 PM by Iain Fisher »