Savage Messiah: Ken Russell > Savage Messiah: Ken Russell

It's the Little Things--in LOTWW--That Count

(1/5) > >>

BoyScoutKevin:
Ken likes to fill his films with characters that have a sexual orientation besides heterosexual. His Lair of the White Worm is no different. What is different about his Lair of the White Worm is how murky some of the characters' sexual orientations are, and it does not clarify matters, when being bitten by the White Worm apparently changes a character's sexual orientation.

Murky (unclear)
Angus
James
Mrs. Trent

Known (clear)
Except for Sylvia, who is apparently bisexual, all of these should be considered to be heterosexual.
Sylvia
Peters
Mr. Trent
Mary
Kevin

Unknown
Though, it is possible that Eve is an asexual.
Gladwell
Eve
Erny

-Finis-

BoyScoutKevin:
Le Repaire du Ver Blanc

Eve (Catherine Oxenberg)
1. Not only is Sylvia doubled by a stunt double in the scene set in in the cave with the white worm, but so is Eve.

Angus (Peter Capaldi)
1. Angus' playing the bagpipes while wandering around inside Temple House speaks to Ken's skill as both a cinematographer and director, as the scene was shot in only one take.

2. One benefit of being bitten is apparently one does not need glasses after being bitten. Angus is wearing glasses ere he is bitten, but not afterwards. Actually, except for Peters, he is the only one in the film to be seen wearing glasses.

3. How did he get back so quickly to Mercy Farm? We know that James drove back in his car, but how did Angus get back at the same time as James?

Miscellaneous
1. Eat and drink. Two times people are seen eating and/or drinking. With the 10 previous times, that is a dozen times people are seen eating/and or drinking in the film.

2. Where is the smoke coming from at Temple House? There is no obvious source of anything flammable in the concluding scene at Temple House.

Next time: concluding with sexual orientation

BoyScoutKevin:
Le Repaire du Ver Blanc
(the minutes are off, but this reply will take from the last reply to the end of the film.)

Sylvia (Amanda Donohoe)
1. Hairy underarms are apparently more popular in the U. K., then they are here in the U.S.

2. She's dead. She's alive. She's dead. She's alive. She's dead. She's alive.
She's dead. She fell to her death. She's alive. She was swallowed by the white worm.
She's dead. She was swallowed by the white worm. She's alive. It was killed by a hand grenade.
She's dead. She was killed by a hand grenade. She's alive. Being swallowed by the white worm protected her from the hand grenade.
If she stopped the loss of blood from her severed hand, then it is possible that she is still alive.

Kevin (Chris Pitt)
1. He's not only merely dead, he's really most sincerely dead. But, as it appears that it takes almost year for the white worm to digest what it swallows, and since he was swallowed much less than an year ago, it is possible that there is enough of him remaining in the white worm--undigested--that his body can be identified as a victim of Sylvia and the white worm.

James (Hugh Grant)
1. I have actually thought the scene with him on the plane, watching the two stewardesses wrestle, while holding a pen in his lap, is actually restrained. If it was less restrained, the scene would have the pen spouting ink.

2. While this may not be that common, this is not the 1st time I have seen this in an English work of fiction. When a gay man in England, wants to see whether another man is interested, he'll brush his hand across the other man's knee. And then the other man will respond in a way to show that he is interested or not interested. Thus, when both he and Angus are in the car, and he brushes his hand across Angus' knee, is James showing an interest in Angus? Has he always been interested in Angus, or is his interest a recent thing? Or, is his brushing his hand across Angus' knee, not deliberate, but accidental?

3. He smokes at the end of the film. I think this is the 1st time that we see him smoke. Actually, I think this is the 1st time we see anybody in the film smoke.

Next time: Eve, Angus, and miscellaneous.

Iain Fisher:
"Which is why Lisztomania is such a disappointment, as of all this films to date that I have seen, I consider that to be the one with the worst acting."

I agree, a film I just don't like, but there are many sincere Ken fans who think it is one of the classics.

BoyScoutKevin:
Concluding . . .
Le Repaire du Ver Blanc
(minutes 76 - 90)

Erny (Paul Brooke)
a. Would he really, when he tripped o'er Angus' bagpipes and fell backward, have hit the sundial with enough force to penetrate his skull, which is one of the hardest bones in the body, and then caused the loss of his eye?

b. Acting
Really, if one looks at the scene, one sees what a good actor he can be. If he was any less of an actor, the scene of him being charmed by Angus playing the bagpipes, would be even more ridiculous than it already is.

Angus (Peter Capaldi)
a. Maybe it is possible, but seemingly note that he dials only a 5-digit number on the phone at Temple House to reach D'Ampton Manor.

Ken (director)
Absurdity
a. He often bumps up against absurdity in the film, but, he is such a good director and writer (IMHO) he seldom crosses the line o'er into absurdity territory.

Next time: Le Repaire du Ver Blanc (minutes 91 - finis)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version