Author Topic: Ken Russell: Re-Viewing England's Last Mannerist  (Read 3900 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Ken Russell: Re-Viewing England's Last Mannerist
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 08:41:37 PM »
Sorry about that, as I don't have a computer at home, I use the one at the local public library, and I just ran out of time, before they closed for the day, so I thought it'd be better to post what I had already written, then come and finish the next day.

The book, from the index, also contains information about many of the people associated with Russell, however slight the association. Amanda Donohoe, Roger Ebert, Hugh Grant, Pauline Kael, etc.

Roger Ebert
Even though he hated, hated Russell's "Lair of the White Worm," which is understandable. Less understandable is his hatred of Russell's "The Devils," which he hated as much as "Lair of the White Worm," as "The Devils" is not only one of Russell's best films, but, probably, one of the best films ever made.

Pauline Kael
But to be fair to Ebert, Pauline Kael is another film critic who has never liked Russell's films.

Hugh Grant
Even though he has made his dislike of Russell known. The feeling seemingly mutual. As Russell doesn't seem to have liked Grant neither, since they only worked together in one film.

Amanda Donohoe
Who gets as much space in the book as Grant, but she does get a photo as well, and he doesn't.

I bring up her name, since she is also featured in another book about Russell in some part. "Chris Alexanders' Blood Spattered Book," in which he talks about thirty films he thinks are either underrated and/or maligned. One of them being Russell's "Lair of the White Worm." After which there is an interview with Ms. Donohoe. And while I haven't seen the interview, I presume she talks about her work in the film and with its director.

I preume she has a better opinion of Russell, than Grant, as she worked with Russell in two films, including this one and "The Rainbow," and she has expressed her admiration for the script for "Lair of the White Worm," which was written by Russell, and which he sent her.

And if anybody needs another reason to read "Ken Russell: Re-Viewing England's Last Mannerist," then read it for the photos which it contains. Most of which I haven't seen before.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Ken Russell: Re-Viewing England's Last Mannerist
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:53:21 PM »
Thank-you for bringing this to our attention. I was aware of it. I had even wrote down the information on it, but then I lost the information.

While, so far, it does look like something I'd want to read, even though the only parts I've seen so far is the introduction and the index on Amazon.

All of his films seem to be covered, from his first completed film "Peepshow" to his last film "Trapped Ashes."

Most of the subjects covered in his films seem to be covered as well. I see the subject of "Masculinity" gets 17 pages. This seems to be a subject that has intested him even before he began making films. Because if you look at the photographs he took when he was still a photographer, you'll see the subject interested him even then.

To be continued . . .