Author Topic: The Who  (Read 4982 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: The Who
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:15:46 PM »
If I remember correctly, one change between the album and the film, and a change for which I approve, as it made for a more drama, in the film, it is the stepfather who kills the father, but . . .?! in the album it is the father who kills the stepfather.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:25:05 PM »
I'd agree that Ken's film added so much.  It tidied up the story, and the performances were vivid and exciting.  Elton and Tina in particular.

Compare with The Who's next album, Quadrophenia, where the album is so good but personally I find the film drags and the music seems to disappear.  Interesting to see how Ken would have done it.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:24:02 PM »
I'd add to my previous post, that while I have never seen any stage version of The Who's "Tommy," I have heard the album, and I have seen Ken's film version, and (IMHO) the songs, especially "Pinball Wizard," work much better in the film than in the album.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »
And to celebrate 40 years of Ken's film there is a stage production of Tommy (though not with The Who or Elton or Tina) in London.

http://greenwichtheatre.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1718:tommy&catid=7:playingnow&Itemid=1

I see that the ad says that this production is based on the album. It does not say that it is based on the film. It is only in the 3rd paragraph, that we get any mention of the film.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »
And to celebrate 40 years of Ken's film there is a stage production of Tommy (though not with The Who or Elton or Tina) in London.

http://greenwichtheatre.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1718:tommy&catid=7:playingnow&Itemid=1

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
The Who
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »
I saw The Who on Friday, so on Ken's birthday today I will watch Tommy again.