Author Topic: Lady Chatterley  (Read 5119 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Lady Chatterley
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
Yes, of course, Ken did other films based on the works of D. H. Lawrence. St. Mawr? That is one I had not heard of. It'd have been nice to see what Ken could have done with it.

Nor did I know that it took Lawrence 3 attempts to come up with the definitive version, as I have not read any of the versions nor seen any of the films based upon them. It is not something I feel qualified to discuss in greater detail.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 09:34:26 PM »
It is quite a good film, in two parts for television, but it is relatively conventional with less of Ken's unique vision and imagery, and not as good as his other Lawrence films.

The book had an interesting history, and Penguin who bravely published it were taken to court for obscenity, but eventually Penguin won and the book was freely available, and opened up British publishing.

DH Lawrence actually wrote three versions of the story, The First Lady Chatterley, John Thomas and Lady Jane and Lady Chatterley's Lover, the last being the definitive version.  I have read that Ken included material from all three versions, but I have only read Lady Chatterley's Lover (and a long time ago) so I can't say what.  Maybe a good excuse to read more of Lawrence.

Ken of course also did Lawrence's Women in Love and The Rainbow, and St Mawr was abandoned project.

Iain

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
I'll take back some of what I said in my previous post. While we did read D. H. Lawrence in Lit class, it was not his Lady Chatterley's Lover, but his somewhat less controversial Sons and Lovers, which itself was made into a film in 1960.

D. H. Lawrence was twice depicted on film in the 1980's.
1st 1981 in Priest of Love with Ian McKellen as Lawrence.
2nd 1985 in Coming Through with Kenneth Branagh as Lawrence.

I have not seen neither film, nor have I ever seen 1960's Sons and Lovers.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 10:17:46 PM »
Well, how was it? And how faithful was it to D. H. Lawrence's novel?

As part of the course on D. H. Lawrence in college, we read his Lady Chatterley's Lover, but, I have never seen any of the adaptations onto film. Not even Ken's.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Lady Chatterley
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »
Just noticed but Ken's Lady Chatterley is on TV now (!!!!), on the Drama channel.