Author Topic: Ken's photos  (Read 7984 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Ken's photos
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 11:09:14 PM »
Another chance to see Ken's photos.  Is it at the Lucy Bell Gallery in St Leonards on Sea, UK from 21 Sept to 9 Nov 2019.

https://www.lucy-bell.com/

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 12:15:17 AM »

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
A hommage to Ken's photography.  I think they are a pretty good hommage
It is from the I Life for It blog http://iliveforit.blogspot.com/2010/08/teddy-girls-shoot-for-oyster-magazine.html

The top two new photos are by Liz Ham styled by Jolyon Mason.

More photos are on the site.

Ken's photos

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:23:20 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
PS the photos on the Proud website are bad.  They seem out of focus etc.  The originals are sharp and focussed.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »
I just went to Proud Gallery and Ken's exhibition is superb, very highly recommended.

The photos, all black and white, come from his pre film days. There are three types of photos
- the Teddy Girl series.  The teddy girls are young teenagers, and Ken really does reveal the character of the girls in the stylish pictures.  Similar photos are of young children on Portobello Road, London (near where I live but I can't recognise the locations from the photos).

- posed series, such as "other uses of a bicycle"- lots of photos of a Penny Farthing with people using it as anything but a bike.  Others are very good, such as a photo of the door of a private detective, with the shadows of two men on the door.  Very Alfred Hitchcock, I thought of the opening of Don't Shoot the Composer

- the rest.  This includes a brush with films and celebrity, a photo of Richard Burton, in a Roman centurions costume.

Good news, you can buy the photos signed by Ken.  Most are in editions of 25.  Only £500 each (some £2000) or £650 with a frame.  I bought six.  [No I didn't!!]

This exhibition show what a good photographer he was, and his insight into people.  If you can, go and see it.

Iain

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »
"I'd like to see a coffee table book of Ken's photographs, with his comments on them, come out of the exhibition"

That would be ideal.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:51:43 AM »
Another chance to see Ken's photos.

Ken Russell: A Retrospective is on from 24 Jun- 25 Juil 2010 at Proud Galleries in London.

The blurb is:

Proud Chelsea presents Ken Russell: A Retrospective an intimate and revealing collection of both iconic and lesser known images taken by one of the country’s greatest living filmmakers, Ken Russell. Prior to earning iconic status as a director, Ken Russell spent several fruitful years working as a freelance documentary photographer in London. The photographs he took during this period chart the progress of Russell’s eye from his late twenties into his early thirties. Sometimes poignant, occasionally surreal and frequently funny, they capture all the irreverence and unconventionality of outlook that would characterize his work as a filmmaker.

Russell says "In a way I was making still films, I suppose. Some of the photographs were catch-as-catch-can. But I learnt the value of the perfect composition. When they sent me the prints I thought, 'My God, did I take these? They're not bad.' Secretly, I think they're rather special."

This exhibition captures an almost forgotten period in London history: a period of transition from the depressing aftermath of the Second World War to the youth movements and reinvigorated hope of the 1960s. Documenting the fashions, the cultures and most importantly the people during this shifting time, Russell’s lens lends itself captivatingly to scenes that range from the everyday to the wholly bizarre. The only chance to see this telling exhibition in London, Ken Russell: A Retrospective is set to present a nostalgic and tender look at the city as it was – a must see for all.

I hope to see it soon.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:05:34 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:45:56 AM »
There is an exhibition of Ken's photos at the Lucy Bell Gallery in St Leonards on Sea.

www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-news.html

The photos, before Ken went into films, are superb.

I couldn't agree more. Even in his photographs you see the ideas that Ken would bring to his films. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get to London until the exhibition is over. Thus, I'd like to see a coffee table book of Ken's photographs, with his comments on them, come out of the exhibition.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Ken's photos
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 11:55:24 PM »
There is an exhibition of Ken's photos at the Lucy Bell Gallery in St Leonards on Sea.

www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-news.html

The photos, before Ken went into films, are superb.