Author Topic: Why 24 fragments?  (Read 8242 times)

Offline Ashleigh Harvey

Re: Why 24 fragments?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 03:19:12 PM »
In A Controlled Detonation:
The Protean Voice of 4:48 Psychosis (first seven fragments)
by Mustafa Sakarya, the writer proposes that there are twenty-five fragments in the play. The twenty-fifth seems hidden because when you count them you definitely hit twenty-four. But it's possible that the fragment flash flicker burn, etc is a new fragment (after cut out my tongue, etc). Otherwise "It is done
behold the Eunich
     of castrated thought" could stand as a new fragment.
If there are twenty-five fragments we could play with the idea of two plus five = 7 which is a number symbolising sacredness, mysticism, there are seven days in Creation, seven days in the week, seven graces, seven deadly sins, seven divisions in the Lord's Prayer, and seven ages in the life of man. The Seven Last Words are the last utterance of Christ on the cross... The words are "My God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...recorded in Mark 15:34, and Matt. 27:46. (My love, my love, why have you forsaken me? page 219)
Just a thought. Doing this play at the upcoming Grahamstown festival in South Africa. The premiere in this country. oh yes!

Offline elma

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:38:56 PM »
Hey Iain,

yes, 24 suggests hours of the day. And, I agree it doesn't fit entirely, but...When you look at the dramaturgy of the play from the inside, it has very strong bounds, and everything in it has it's why. It seems at first chaotic, but every chaos has it's order. Anyhow, I wouldn't reject your thought...Thank you.:)

Elma

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
Hi Elma,

Interesting, I hadn't thought of the number of scenes possibly being symbolic.  24 suggests hours of the day but doesn't really fit.

I guess the number is coincidence, but who knows.  Anyone got any ideas?

Iain

Offline elma

Why 24 fragments?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »
When analyzing the structure of 4.48 Psychosis, I can't escape the thought of 24 fragments. Why 24? Does anyone have any clue could it be simbolic? And if, what could it present?
elma