Author Topic: Jon Sorensen's The Ken Russell  (Read 22936 times)

Offline Jon Sorensen

• Aliens And Delius
    • Jon Sorensen Creative
Re: Jon Sorensen's The Ken Russell
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 12:02:47 AM »
Thought I'd swing back, as threatened, and throw some light on my music album Jon Sorensen's THE KEN RUSSELL.

Iain pointed you to the essay I wrote for this Site some time back, which he brilliantly entitled Aliens and Delius

Taking that as a beginning, Ken's love of music is well known. As far as my own work goes, his ongoing favourite pieces are Jon Sorensen's Witch Symphony and Jon Sorensen's Frankenstein. In other words, the gothic romantic orchestral pieces, (although he's recently been bopping about to my For We Have Tranced And Danced At The Chimes At Midnight and my Prison Break cool high octane album, finding also Jon Sorensen's The Quatermass Experiment "eerie and gorgeous").

So when it came to an album dedicated to Ken, I began with Ken Russell's DRACULA, a film he was going to direct with Mick Fleetwood as the Count, and a film I would have paid a lot to see. Very intense and orchestral and episodic.

Following on from that came Ken Russell's TO THE LIGHTHOUSE which carries an elemental force sweeping along a lot of emotional and relationship turmoil within it's frame, the sounds of the sea and the whales heard against the lighthouse foghorn, sounding amidst the thick mist of human lives and loves, and reminding us that these entanglements will be long outlived by these elemental forces.

COLERIDGE'S DREAM sprang from my memories of Ken's television films about the romantic poets. After Ken and Lisi's house burned down, as a matter of fact, I was able to replace Ken's own DVD's of these two films, William and Dorothy and The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner.

ALIENS AND DELIUS is simply a marriage of our two nature's and life and work experiences. My work on films containing "aliens" and Ken's film on Delius, for example, Song Of Summer.

THE DAY KEN SWAM WITH THE LOCH NESS MONSTER is the meeting of two legends, Ken and Nessie, (which we talked about...we both have an interest in the phenomenon).

THE LIVING END is a reference to a film Ken was to make years ago. (I have the paperback right here next to me as I type). The story is black comedy about death, cosmic chaos and the sheer ludicrousness of things. Hence the off-kilter feel to the track sometimes. The cosmic tumblers missing the odd beat.

The CD was presented to Ken by my wife unzipping it from a pocket on my back where I'd carried it to Ken in a leather waistcoat like Quasimodo hauling one of his bells.

The films Ken did'nt do are fascinating. One of them he was offered, SPECIES, would have found him working with H.R. Giger, which would have been fascinating. Since I worked on ALIEN, I knew Giger and his creations, so there's your Aliens And Delius connection again. On that front, it was the 30th Anniversary of ALIEN (1979) last year, and I composed a whole album, ALIEN 5, to mark this, and I wanted to point out to the people here it's a free album download. Also a free download of A Saucerful Of Secrets, a track from Jon Sorensen's The Core Of Dreams album.

These are on the Alien Experience Website. Dedicated to the ALIEN movies.

You download them here:

http://www.alienexperience.com/forum/index.php/topic,6605.0.html

I guess that's just about it. Except to say, film-maker and artist Dennis Lowe is looking to make a documentary about Ken and I and it's pencilled in for this coming August to shoot. If it pans out, I'll let you know.

Also, I agree it's appauling that most of Ken's films are currently unavailable on decent DVD's. It does'nt worry him so much. He says, "I got to make the films, that's what matters".

With my own Russellesque-Lynchian movie ALIEN BLOOD (2000) still available and selling on DVD 10 years on, (which astonishes me, since I thought it would be on video shelves for a year or two and then disappear), it is a monstrous enigma that Ken's movies are so rare. But mostrous and rare describes the film business.

And no, I've never yet composed for a Ken Russell movie. Yet.

Take care of yourselves and each other.

Offline Jon Sorensen

• Aliens And Delius
    • Jon Sorensen Creative
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
Thank you very much, Iain, for the opportunity to participate and hopefully answer a few questions here. Certainly the common ground here is that I am an admirer of Ken's and his work has had a profound effect on my life. I recently had a chance to tell him this face to face and give him a big hug and a kiss. If you guys here have some specific questions you think I can answer, I'll swing around again and attempt to do so. And thank you for the interest in my own work to date.

Jon

X

Offline Rosebud

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
Thanks Iain for the information.  I just ordered a copy of "Alien Blood" through Amazon.  I will definitely let you know what I think once I see it.  Thanks again.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:00:38 AM »
Jon is a longstanding fan of Ken's work (Alien Blood shows this) but he only met Ken in the last few years.  I don't think he has composed for Ken.

He has worked on a number of major films, but the roles were uncredited.  Internet movie database lists Alien (visual effects miniatures), Time Bandits (visual effects camera), The Empire Strikes Back (assistant camera) and others.

Let me know what you think of Alien Blood when you get it.

Iain

Offline Rosebud

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:08:15 PM »
Thanks Iain.  After reading the Jon Sorensen article I definitely want to watch "Alien Blood."  The main question I have about the CD is in regard to the titles of the songs, such as "Ken Russell's Dracula, "The Loch Ness Monster," and "Aliens and Delius."  They all appear to reference subjects that Ken made or attempted to make.  Was Jon ever attached to score Ken's aborted version of Dracula?  Thanks again.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:23:34 AM »
I also have the CD and agree with you about his tribute to Ken, good experimental music.  He has made other good CDs.

I recommend his film Alien Blood
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004YS61/savagemessiah
Sci-fi with the influence of Ken.  As one of the extras Jon gives excellent advice for new filmmakers.

There is an article by Jon on the site, with pics of Alien Blood here
www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-article-aliens-delius.html

I know (by email) Jon, so I will see if he can give you more information.

Offline Rosebud

Jon Sorensen's The Ken Russell
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:17:13 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Russell-Jon-Sorensen/dp/B002UTNJB6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275461512&sr=1-4

I just recently purchased this CD after accidentally coming across it while looking up Ken Russell products on Amazon.com.  The music is by filmmaker Jon Sorensen.  It is listed as his tribute to the world's greatest film director.  The music is quite soothing, but also very experimental.  I like it a lot.  Since, the CD contains no liner notes, I was wondering if anyone out there has any information about the album?  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.