Playwrights > Sarah Kane discussion

Phaedra's Love- Lisa

<< < (2/3) > >>

archive:
I think the quote about "but not in the lifestyle that Christianity demanded" has to do with the church that Sarah's family belongd to at that time. It's very regemented and it is frowned apon for people to mix with people outside the church. Also they do tend to have 'old fashiond' ideas of the roles of women, populer music and so on. I used to go to a differnt brance when I was young, but when the paster changed and it became more regemented I left. I think being called a 'Sinfull child' for listerning to AC/DC was hard to swallow when I was 10!

Still now I listern to Diamanda Galás and follow a pagan path maybe :)

Archive 23-9-2001

archive:
The priest's being gay probably has something to do with this too.

I sometimes wonder whether Sarah's loss of her faith at 17 had something to do with the fact that she was a lesbian? She did once say in an interview that she believed in God "but not in the lifestyle that Christianity demanded", then in a later one that she abandoned religion because she "wanted to have sex" - given her refusal to come out in public while she was alive, perhaps these statements concealed an additional meaning?

Archive 22-9-2001

archive:
I think when watching actors perform this scene, it could be conveyed that even the priest (as everyone) finds Hippolytus attractive. and hippolytus picks up on it and takes advantage of the weak flesh of the priest.

Archive 15-12-2001

archive:
The confess or you'll burn thing reminds me of a 'Father Ted' thing, where Dougal manages to point out this flaw in the hole confession thing. I mean if you confess your sins then you get into heaven so as long as you confess then your fine. So Mira Hindly, who goes to mass each day, has as much right to get into heaven as Sister Wendy...

Archive 23-9-2001

archive:
The priest's blow job puzzles me too, I've never worked that one out. But yes, Hippolytus tells the priest to 'confess, before you burn' because, as he says, the priest 'sins knowing he'll confess, then starts all over again'.

This reminds me of the American wit who defined Catholicism as 'confession on Saturday, mass on Sunday, at it again Monday'.

Archive 22-9-2001

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version