Playwrights > Sarah Kane discussion

Phaedra's Love- Lisa

(1/3) > >>

archive:
I guess I just don't understand the confusion here. The scene's about religious hypocrisy (the Priest's) and a commitment to an honest life, however sinful (H's). The blowjob is no more out of character than Angelo's attraction to Isabella in Measure for Measure.

Archive 19-8-2002

archive:
Phaedra commits suicide out of emotional devastation and revenge--hence the note saying Hippolytus raped her. H's excited response isn't connected. Phaedra's "gift," according to H. is only perceived--he uses it as an excuse to sacrifice himself. I don't think Kane was questioning Phaedra's motives. She's doomed from the beginning. What's more interesting is Hippolytus' transformation and acceptance/taking responsibility.

Archive 6-10-2002

archive:
I have seen the priest's blowjob as a mark of submissiveness, which is his profession (submissiveness to god). It shows Hippo is superior to him and the priest all to easy to bow to it. Though it seems to come from a different reason/source making him do it than Phaedra's blowjob (rather patronage than love), her love is submissive too. (Maybe real love is always, but I don't think so because I don't want to think so to try to make love work better but maybe I am able to think that only because I'm not in this kind of love right now or not enough)

There also was discussion about why Phaedra killed herself, my first impression was and it seems quite obvious to me that she did it to make Hippo think his life is enhanced and more exciting, or saying it sarcastically: being real good entertainment, with the hope of triggering something inside of Hippo to make him happier by showing him that there is something real that there is something true.

Bogre from Berlin

Archive 9-12-2001

archive:
Homosexuality would definatly have been frowned apon. I was tought AIDS is a punishment from god.

Archive 24-9-2001

archive:
Good point, I had no idea her church was like that although it helps make sense of her comment that her having met Christians who were bad people and atheists who were lovely people was a contributory factor to her becoming disillusioned. However, if it is such a strict and old-fashioned church, I would imagine that trying to square her sexual desire for women with her faith was absolute torture, and must surely have contributed at least a little.

Archive 24-9-2001

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version