Author Topic: films online  (Read 7006 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: films online
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 11:02:33 PM »
The White Bus is on at London's British Film Institute on 29 Sept 2011.

"Numbed by London city life, a young woman returns to Salford in search of her northern roots. Made as part of Red, White and Zero, an ill-fated portmanteau movie based on stories by Shelagh Delaney, The White Bus was the only section to get a cinema release. Through the eyes of her disillusioned protagonist, Delaney creates a beautifully warped city symphony about an industrial town vivid with history yet ever-changing. Screening with John Fletcher's About 'The White Bus' (1968, 57min), an early 'making of' documentary that offers fascinating insight behind the scenes.

Introduced by Dylan Cave (Curator, BFI National Archive)"

Interesting that the film about the film is longer than the film itself.

www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_southbank/film_programme/regular_strands/projecting_the_archive_/_capital_tales/the_white_bus?utm_source=20110922sb&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20110922sb

Offline Rosebud

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »
I am pretty sure you are right Iain.  I just watched the film again and the singer does look like a young Hopkins.  Thanks. 

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:07:15 AM »
I wouldn't have recognised Hopkins, but he is credited as Brechtian, and in the film someone appears briefly onstage singing Brecht songs, so I assume it was Hopkins.  What do you think?

Offline Rosebud

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:46:41 PM »
Sorry for misspelling your name in the previous post Iain.    Caught the mistake immediately after posting.

Offline Rosebud

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
No problem Ian.  Thanks for the DVD review.  I'm going to ebay right now to buy a copy.  Just curious, were you able to spot Anthony Hopkins in the film?  I couldn't find him.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:59:26 AM »
The White Bus- I got it, fast delivery.

The DVD: It plays fine on my DVD player.  Pretty good quality of image given the age.  The sound is off by 1-2 seconds for half the film, which is irritating on dialogue, but there isn't actually much dialogue in the film so the annoyance is limited.  About half way through it corrected.

The film: I loved it, and it could be an early Ken film- Amelia and the Angel and French Dressing come to mind,

Black and white but at times turns into colour for brief moments.  Just like Ken, there is a focus on ordinary people, with sudden bursts of the unusual (the abduction of a woman was powerful).  At times beautiful imagery.  And the end scenes were great.

The first film of Anthony (credited as Antony) Hopkins in a small role.

Well worth buying!!!  Thanks for the recommendation!!!

Ebay has it for £5 (2 left but I suspect when sold out they will reappear).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-Bus-DVD-Lindsay-Anderson-Lowe-Hopkins-1967-/160564784700?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item2562682e3c

Offline Rosebud

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »
Thanks Iain for the info on the DVD-R.  If the quality is good, I may buy one.  I'm interested to hear what you think of the film.  Personally, I love both directors, though if I had to pick one i would without a doubt give Ken the edge. 

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »
Ebay have a DVD-R of the film for £5.  I just ordered mine (they have more left).  No idea what quality of the recording will be like but I'll report back, also on the film itself which seems interesting.

I think I have a blind spot on Lindsay Anderson as I never really liked If, This Sporting Life, O Lucky Man or Britannia Hospital (a bit like saying I don't like The Devils, The Music Lovers, Tommy, Mahler).  But maybe I need to revisit.

Offline Rosebud

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:04:49 AM »
Thanks for posting Iain.  "London Moods" is further proof that no director is better at combining image with music than Ken Russell.  Some of the images reminded me of a Lindsay Anderson short from 1967 called "The White Bus," which I recently saw on Netflix Instant.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
films online
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 12:30:29 AM »
London Moods on Roger Ebert's Journal:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/london/london-moods-by-ken-russell.html

and a good drawing of Ken