Author Topic: Why a Scout?  (Read 5883 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Why a Scout?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:39:27 AM »
I agree on age and virtue and maybe on pillar.  Kevin as a virgin is convincing, and the actor plays it that way.

I don't think Ken's encounter was enough to be called sexual molestation, and I guess it had no effect on Ken, and later was a good anecdote.

Differences of opinion always welcomed. I just thought it was one of the more interesting questions about an interesting film, as are most of Ken's films. That's why I like them. Any other opinions as to why Kevin is shown to be a scout in the film.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Why a Scout?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 11:42:56 PM »
I agree on age and virtue and maybe on pillar.  Kevin as a virgin is convincing, and the actor plays it that way.

I don't think Ken's encounter was enough to be called sexual molestation, and I guess it had no effect on Ken, and later was a good anecdote.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Why a Scout?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:18:19 PM »
A film reviewer asked the question, as to why Kevin (Pitt) is depicted as a scout or boy scout in Ken's "Lair of the White Worm." This question intrigued me, so I gave it some thought, and as I could not post my answer at the film review, I thought I post it here.

Reason #1. Age
We all know that the younger a person is, the more likely they are to be a virgin. Thus some shorthand was needed to indicate Kevin's age. And as scouts are 18 and under in the U.K., Kevin could not have been more then 18, and probably less, and thus still a virgin.

Reason #2. Pagan vs. Christian
In the struggle between pagans and Christians, if Lady Sylvia (Donohoe) represents the pagans, then Kevin represents the Christians. Note how the scout symbol on his campaign hat (stetson) looks something like the Latin cross.

Reason #3. Pillar
Two of the pillars of the British society are the country constable and the scout. If they can be corrupted by evil, then Britain is on shakey ground, indeed.

Reason #4. Vice vs. Virtue
In the struggle between vice and virtue, if Lady Sylvia represents vice, then Kevin, as a representation of Scout Law, represents virtue.

Reason #5. Organization
We know that Ken was sexually molested by a man, while Ken was in the cinema watching a film. What we may not know is, that Ken believes that the man may have been a Scout leader. (The shorts and knobby knees, you know.) And having Kevin being a scout in the film, may be Ken's way at getting back at the organization, a member of which, he believed molested him.

Next time: "Best/Worst"