Author Topic: production of 4.48- lucie  (Read 9037 times)

Offline archive

Re: production of 4.48- CodieK
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 11:21:06 PM »
Hi! when and where was your production of 4.48? I'm trying to gather information for a production history on the play and would love to add yours and anyone else's that you know of to the collection. Thanks.

Archive 2-12-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:55:18 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: production of 4.48- Taygoinres
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
Do you konw how to reach Madeleine Potter or her agent.I have a very important question for her.

Archive 14-1-2002
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:54:54 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Re: production of 4.48 / Madeleine Potter- Jess Cully
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 11:19:13 PM »
Having just seen 4.48 at the Royal Court today, with exactly the same staging and cast as the original production, I can tell you more:

There was a giant mirror placed behind/above the stage at 45 degrees, reflecting the stage and allowing the audience to see what was being written on the table (the actors wrote the numbers, and a few lines of the script, on the actual table back to front, so they looked right in the mirror). This mirror also allowed another view of the actors in the scenes when they lay on the stage.

I must say a few words in praise of one of the cast, Madeleine Potter. In one solo scene, she sat on the edge of the table, looking casual and nonchalant, while reciting highly emotional dialogue - very effective and stunning. At another point, she took a slow step across the stage to the table, smoking a cigarette as she stepped - and, just in that instant, I saw Sarah in her. Congratulations to Madeleine on a spellbinding performance.

Archive 12-5-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:54:33 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: production of 4.48- Jess Cully
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 11:17:51 PM »
As I remember, the set consisted of a table with two chairs. The scenes that appear to be doctor and patient had two actors sitting in the chairs across the table facing each other; the table was also used for the number sequences, with one of the actors writing the numbers on a sheet of paper that covered the table while another read them out. For other scenes, the actors variously sat, stood or laid down on stage.

However, if you're directing a production of 4.48 my advice to you is to forget how anyone else did it, work from Sarah's text alone and produce it how YOU think it should be staged. One of the great things about Sarah is that she leaves so much open to different interpretations, it's fascinating to see what different angles different directors and actors approach it from. Also, without wanting to get sentimental or corny, I'm sure that's what she would have wanted you to do.

Archive 29-4-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:54:11 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

production of 4.48- lucie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
hi, did anyone see 4.48 psychosis at the royal court when it was first put on there? I'm looking for information as to how it was produced/acted and how his could aid me in a current production Thanks!

Archive 29-4-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:53:55 PM by Iain Fisher »