Author Topic: Fugard films  (Read 15593 times)

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Fugard films
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »
Sorry I'm not aware of The Island being available on video or DVD.  The RNT will probably also have an archival copy, but they would also not be able to reproduce.

Even youtube doesn't have excerpts.

Iain

Offline PattiB

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to purchase either a VHS or DVD copy of a performance of "The Island"?  One of our faculty members is interested in the 2003 production that was directed by Athol Fugard.  I had contacted the Brooklyn Academy of Music, but they only have the archival copy, which they are not permitted to reproduce.

2003:  Royal National Theatre / Market Theatre of Johannesburg production of The Island, originally directed by Athol Fugard, with John Kani & Winston Ntshona.

Thank you,
    Patti B.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »
Good news!!!!

Giacomo

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
Master Harold and the boys starring Freddie Highmore will be released in DVD on Amazon next October 11th, 2011.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Fugard film festival in South Africa
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
The Fugard Theatre present a week of classic films based on Fugard’s works from 7-11 Jun 2011.

The schedule is:

7 Jun 2011: Boesman and Lena directed by Ross Devenish and starring Athol Fugard and Yvonne Bryceland (1974)
8 Jun 2011: Hello and Goodbye directed by Ross Devenish and starring Athol Fugard and Yvonne Bryceland (1977)
9 Jun 2011: Master Harold and the Boys directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg and starring Mathew Broderick, John Kani and Zakes Mokae (1985)
10 Jun 2011: The Road to Mecca directed by Athol Fugard and Peter Goldsmid and starring Kathy Bates, Athol Fugard and Yvonne Bryceland (1992)
11 Jun 2011: Tsotsi directed by Gavin Hood – 2006 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film

Details are here
www.iainfisher.com/fugard/fugard-news.html

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Master Harold film in New York
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
The new film of 'Master Harold' and the boys will be shown at the New York International Independent Film and Video Festival in the Quad Cinema, New York on 4 May 2011.

The films is directed by Lonny Price.  Hally is played by Freddie Highmore and Sam by Ving Rhames, Willie by Patrick Mofokeng and Bully by Justin Stein.

Details are here
www.iainfisher.com/fugard/fugard-news.html

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »
London's Victoria and Albert Museum will show a film of Kani and Ntshona in The Island.  It is the National Theatre production of 2000.

The film is shown on 18 Jun 2010.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Tsotsi on BBC2 tonight
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »
If you get British BBC2 you can watch Tsotsi tonight (well after midnight).

A really good film.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Master Harold
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
Master Harold... and the boys is being filmed again.  The new version will feature Ving Rhames, Freddie Highmore and Patrick Mofokeng with Lonny Price directing.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Fugard films
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
Hi Jay,

Bad news, none of them are available commercially.

I used to have The Road to Mecca (with Fugard and Kathy Bates) which I recorded from television, but the tape got damaged.  I didn't like it too much, I thought the performances lacked real passion- but even so I wish I still had it!!

The Guest was shown in the Tricycle Theatre in London a year or so but I missed it.

Iain

Offline jball

Fugard films
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »
Hello everyone,

Can anyone give me some advice about how to purchase the films of Boseman and Lena (the original, not the Oprah/Glover remake), The Guest and The Road to Mecca?

Many thanks,

Jay
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:31:56 PM by Iain Fisher »