Savage Messiah: Ken Russell > Savage Messiah: Ken Russell

Ken Russell on DVD...and not on DVD.

(1/4) > >>

regal26:
The real problem is trying to secure the home video distribution rights as most of the films were made for major American studios.

Ken's films in the early 1970's were made for MGM/UA which is currently being auctioned off...so the future of their library is still up in the air. These films include Women in Love, The Music Lovers, The Boyfriend, Savage Messiah, and Valentino.

Mahler is probably the swampiest. It was made for Goodtimes Enterprises which I believe is now defunct. It's original theatrical release was handled by several different distributors, while the current
DVD's have been handled by small companies using the same battered old print.

Lisztomania and The Devils were both released by Warner Brothers who are usually pretty hestitant to license their titles out to other distributors (at least in America). Though Lisztomania has had a release in the UK, there has not been a US release.

Rob Halcro:
Hi,

Found your site by accident! Would welcome being kept up to date with postings - is there an icon to click on for that? If not my email is: robhalcro1@hotmail.com .

How about getting a letter template written / constructed for the varying owners of Ken Russell's rights for new folk like me to write to & what about the BFI, will they not put his works out with all the extras?

Rob.

BoyScoutKevin:

--- Quote from: Iain Fisher on February 02, 2009, 11:53:14 PM ---I didn't realise the reissue of Lair didn't come with the commentary.  There are so few commentaries by Ken, and so few extras on Ken's DVDs, that it seems madness not to include it.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is. I have the version with Ken's commentary on it, and when I played it for friends in the U.K., they thought the commentary was the best part of the film and really added to the enjoyment of watching it.

I also believe there is a version of "Gothic" out there with commentary by Ken, but I haven't heard that one.

I do wish someone would get more commentaries from Ken on his films, if only to be added to future film releases, before Ken passes on.

Iain Fisher:

"There are two Region 1 dvd's not yet mentioned: TALES OF EROTICA (Trimark) - I believe it's OOP and my copy originally came in a box-set with some other Trimark titles called "After Dark Collection"."

I got that DVD, pretty dire.  I don't even know if I have watched all the films on the box-set, I found it so bland.  And Ken's film wasn't very good.

jonsi:
I would so hope on "The Devils" be released in an appropriate form as long as Ken Russell is alive - but the more time passes by the more the hope vanishes...

Sometimes i thing that Warner just waits as long as Ken Russell himself will die and then release it with the publicity given by the event...

But then, if that happens, i am in the position to decide wether i want to buy it or not... if really that happens i would say i throw overboard my opinions and download that piece of art...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version