Author Topic: Russell and England  (Read 3528 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Russell and England
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
Continuing . . .

Salome's Last Dance
unhappy

The Lair of the White Worm
the characters are too stupid to know that they should be unhappy.

The Rainbow
if "Women in Love" is about rejecting society's mores to be happy, then "The Rainbow" is about accepting society's mores (marriage, children, etc.) to be happy.

Which leaves only two films set in England, where the majority of characters can be said to be happy.

"The Boyfriend"
"Aria"

Next time: Russell and Children

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Russell and England
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:02:24 PM »
Is England a happy place? Not according to Russell who was born, raised and lived most of his life in England, and half of whose theatrical films are--seemingly--set in England.

French Dressing
I haven't seen it, so I can't talk about whether the characters in it are happy or not.

Billion Dollar Brain
I have seen it, but I don't remember whether any part of it supposedly takes place in England.

Women in Love
Seemingly, for me, the film is saying that to find happiness one must reject society's values to find happiness. For to try to maintain society's values is to find unhappiness.

Savage Messiah
The characters are unhappy in France, and when they move to England, they continue to be unhappy, for the most part.

Tommy
Who said: "That religion is the opiate of the masses." The title character is unhappy for most of the film, and most of the other characters seemed to be so doped up on religion, that they don't know that they should be unhappy.

To be continued . . .