Author Topic: Questions. Yes, We Have More Questions  (Read 6434 times)

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Questions. Yes, We Have More Questions
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »
I unlocked this briefly and it was immediately spammed.

I think a human spammer does a test message, and the key strokes are logged.  Then a computer uses the key strokes for future messages.  This explains spam messages saying "this is a test".

I have locked it again.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:07:38 PM by Iain Fisher »

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »
Spammers are targetting this post (I have deleted about 100 in the last week) so for a while I will lock it.  To reply/ continue just make a new thread.

Iain
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:06:11 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline richmond74

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 05:35:12 PM »
I think A British Picture is one of the better film autobiographies written by a director: skittish, rambunctious and effortlessly amusing. It ways it better conveys Russell's humour than some of his films.

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »
A British Picture, his autobiography, is my favourite.  It is called Altered States in the USA.  He has a good clear writing style.  Ken writes in anecdotes, so you will not learn about the real Ken, he keeps this hidden, but there are good stories (some of which change over the years in interviews) and he does write well on directors he likes, as well as films and filming.

I think if his Times articles ever get collected and published then they will also become a favourite.

Violation is my favoutite fiction.

All the books are here
www.iainfisher.com/russell/ken-russell-writing-2.html

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »
We know Ken as a director, and maybe as an actor, but he is also an author, writing both fiction and non-fiction books. Thus, in his writings, which of his books are the most highly regarded?

To be continued . . .

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »
Since I last asked the question what film or films of Russell no one should see. not even his fans, then let me ask this question.

For someone who has never seen any of Ken's films, which one of his films would be the best introduction to Russell and his films?

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 10:52:38 PM »
Mindbender, Billion Dollar Brain and Trapped Ashes come to mind.

If I wanted to impress someone by Ken's immense talent, I would not go near these.  I'd probably add Lisztomania but I know a lot of Ken fans, with very good taste, admire it.

I can't comment on "Mindbender," as I've never seen it. I agree about "Billion Dollar Brain." (IMHO) it is his worst film to date, that I have seen. As I have said previously, if I had connected Ken with the film, I might not have seen another of his films. I hate it so much. "Trapped Ashes." Good or bad, it was my best chance to see one of Ken's films on the big screen, but it never played in any of the cinemas in the city, where I live.

"Lisztomania" Many of Ken's films divide his fans into those who hate the film, and those who love the film. "Lisztomania" perhaps more than most. But thank you for your suggestions, as it gives me something to think about. Anymore suggestions from any of Ken's fans?

Online Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »
Mindbender, Billion Dollar Brain and Trapped Ashes come to mind.

If I wanted to impress someone by Ken's immense talent, I would not go near these.  I'd probably add Lisztomania but I know a lot of Ken fans, with very good taste, admire it.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:18:11 PM »
Another question. This one is about Russell.

Has Ken ever made a "bad" film? I don't mean one we dislike, as we all have seen one or more of his films that we disliked, but a film that we have no reason to watch, excluding the fact that Ken directed it?

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Questions. Yes, We Have More Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:56:24 PM »
This first question is about Ken's fans. Are Ken's fans smarter than his non-fans? I ask, because if you read a favorable review of any of Ken's films, then read a non-favorable review of the same film, or the reverse, the person giving the favorable review, and thus we can presume a fan of Ken's, normally comes off as being more intelligent than the person giving the non-favorable review of the film.

Thus, are Ken's fans smarter than his non-fans?

To be continued . . .