Author Topic: Ken Russell: Re-Viewing England's Last Mannerist  (Read 7456 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: Ken Russell: Re-Viewing England's Last Mannerist
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:40:02 AM »
Yes, it does look good. I've already read some of the brief comments made by John Kenneth Muir in his essay, and I'm already looking forward to reading his essay and the other essays in the book.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »
The chapters are

Introduction     Kevin M Flanagan

Part I Russell’s Progress

1 Ken at the BBC 1959-1970     Paul Sutton
2 The Body Politic: Ken Russell in the 1980s     Barry Keith Grant
3 In Defense of the Amateur     Brian Hoyle

Part II Pop Scene

4 Television, Contested Culture, and Social Control: Cultural Studies and Pop Goes the Easel        Kevin M Flanagan
5 Smashing our Guitars, Deconstructing out Idols: the Pop Art Aesthetic in Tommy        Tom Wallis

Part III Composer Biographies

6 “Il parait que c’etait un musician”: Ken Russell’s The Debussy Film     John C. Tibbetts
7 Fact, Fiction, Fever, Fantasy: Ken Russell’s Mahler and the Bio-Film     William Verrone

Part IV Critical Reconsiderations

8 Defending Rudy: Alternative Masculinities in Ken Russell’s Valentino     Brian Faucette
9 As the (White) Worm Turns: Ken Russell as God and Devil of Rubber-Reality Horror Cinema     John Kenneth Muir
10 Behind the Last Veil: Forms of Transgressions in Ken Russell’s Salome’s Last Dance     Thomas Prasch
11 Complicating the Costume Drama: Lady Chatterley, Ken Russell and the Concepts of Heritage     Kevin M Flanagan

Part V Russell Today

12 Ken Russell at Work 2006     Paul Sutton
13 “Le Phoenix Terrible: A Ken Russell Season at the BFI, July 2007     John C. Tibbetts

It looks good stuff.  If you get any updates from Paul please let us know.

Iain
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:43:44 PM by Iain Fisher »

Marie

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:06:13 PM »
'But does anybody yet have a complete list of the essay titles in the book, as I'm interested most specifically in what the book will be about. And all I've seen so far is generalities.'

My old school friend Paul Sutton is helping compile this book I am sure he couldhelp you with your enquiries

presutton@hotmail.com

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this, because I believe, it's been almost thirty years since we had a collection of essays on Ken's films.

But does anybody yet have a complete list of the essay titles in the book, as I'm interested most specifically in what the book will be about. And all I've seen so far is generalities.

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Ken Russell: Re-Viewing England's Last Mannerist
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »
A new book on Ken Russell, Ken Russell: Re-Viewing England's Last Mannerist, will be published in Sept 2009 by Scarecrow Press, USA. The book is edited by Kevin M. Flanagan.

The book "on the one hand, explores areas of Russell's career that have been somewhat overlooked or marginalized, and on the other expands the applicability of Russell's films to academic film study. Roughly half of the essays in the book are "academic" while the other half, though still scholarly, could be seen as more popular and historical. Topics covered include an elucidation of all of Russell's Monitor films, a new framework for reading Russell's whole career (as a champion of the amateur aesthetic), an essay on Russell's approach to 1980s horror, a reconsideration of Salome's Last Dance, and many, many more. Contributing writers include Barry Keith Grant, John C. Tibbetts, Joseph A. Gomez, Paul Sutton and John Kenneth Muir.