Author Topic: Don't forget about Cleansed! Jess van Onselen  (Read 20376 times)

Offline archive

Re: Don't forget about Cleansed! Velvet
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »
jess: i think the obvious boundary that's crossed in cleansed is gender. is that too obvious? v

Archive 8-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 08:30:48 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Don't forget about Cleansed! Jess van Onselen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:59:22 AM »
I agree. It seems to be quite a common reaction to the play, that although it is mainly about love, it is a "difficult" play. I think perhaps the main reason for that is that every love scene is about crossing boundaries. Grace and Graham are in love BUT they're brother and sister; Tinker and the Stripper fall in love (of sorts) BUT that's collapsing the boundaries of a business deal; Rod and Carl are in love BUT they know they'll die because of it.

Archive 8-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 08:30:24 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: Don't forget about Cleansed! Chloe
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 11:58:54 AM »
Hey...well, for me, reading this play was difficult, in terms of the emotions expressed...its very interesting as well in terms of the gender/role reversals and such, but really, the thing that I found very beautiful about it was this sense of "How much can you love someone? Are you willing to die for them"? But I'm not even sure "die" in the literal way as much as this very real fear of being overtaken by someone, by your feelings, and maybe as a result of that, losing your own identity in the process...do we "gorge" ourselves on love the way that Tinker makes Robin eat the chocolates? We want to believe it when someone says "I love you, I'll never hurt you" like the characters of Rod and Carl, is this realistic tho? I think this play raises alot of interesting questions about the nature of love...well, so...these are some of my thoughts about it anyway! :)

Archive 7-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 08:30:00 AM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Don't forget about Cleansed! Jess van Onselen
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
Hello all - don't forget to jot down any of your thoughts or musings on Cleansed when you get the chance....

:)

Archive 6-11-2001
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 08:29:39 AM by Iain Fisher »