Author Topic: And the Oscar Goes to . . .  (Read 5145 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: And the Oscar Goes to . . .
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
For its gritty realism.

Makeup
"Lair of the White Worm"
Obviously.

Music
Instrumental performance
"The 1812 Overture" from "The Music Lovers"
Song
"The D'Ampton Worm" from "Lair of the White Worm" for its use in lieu of a flashback.
Vocal performance
"Pinball Wizard" from "Tommy"

Production design
"The Devils" by Derek Jarman
From the pristine white to the multi-colored, no one did it better than Jarman.

Writing
"Lair of the White Worm'
Another hard choice, but I don't know of any of Russell's films that are more tightly written. Rip out one scene and the whole script unravels. Even the scenes with Lady Sylvia Marsh (Amanda Donohoe) and Kevin (Chris Pitt) provide needed background information and a foreshadowing of what is to come.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
Besides Glenda Jackson winning for Best Actress, 'Women in Love' was nominated for Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Cinematography.

However, that is Russell's ONLY nomination as director (he lost to Franklin J. Schaffner for 'Patton'). Probably won't get a lifetime achievement award either. Shame.

Well, I haven't gviven up hope that the Academy will at sometime recognize Russell's lifetime achievements as a director. If Roger Corman is finally getting an Oscar of some sort, then can Russell be far behind?

Offline regal26

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:50:51 PM »
Besides Glenda Jackson winning for Best Actress, 'Women in Love' was nominated for Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Cinematography.

However, that is Russell's ONLY nomination as director (he lost to Franklin J. Schaffner for 'Patton'). Probably won't get a lifetime achievement award either. Shame.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

And the Oscar Goes to . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »
If there was an Oscar category only for Ken's films, these should be the winner for each category, as they represent the best in those films of his that I've seen.

Acting
"Women in Love"
Glenda Jackson as Gudrun Brangwen, of course.

Casting
"Tommy" just edging out "Valentino"
Oliver Reed, Ann-Margaret, Roger Daltry, Elton John, Eric Clapton, John Entwistle, Keith Moon, Paul Nicholas, Jack Nicholson, Robert Powell, Pete Townsend, Tina Turner, Victoria Russell, Imogen Claire, Alex (Alien) Russell, and Ken Russell.

Choreography
"Lisztomania"
Only Ken could out Berkley Busby.

Cinematography
"French Dressing"
A difficult choice, but for the first time, we get to see what Ken can do with a camera on the big screen.

Costumes
"Lair of the White Worm"
In no other film are the characters so defined by what they wear.
Sylvia's fetish outfits. Peter's tuxedo. Mary's masculine looking outfits.  Kevin's scout uniform. James' RAF uniform. Eve's nun's habit. Erny's police constable's uniform. Angus' Scot's kilt.

Editing
"Women in Love.
The most perfect editing job I've ever seen. No scene seems to go on a second too long.

Lighting
"Altered States"
What seemed to me just a brilliant combination of lighting, editing, and cinematography.

To be continued . . .