Author Topic: Lisztomania  (Read 8949 times)

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
Re: Lisztomania
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 09:19:23 PM »
It is Ringo's birthday and for Newsweek they look at Ringo in Lisztomania and the alleged reaction of the Vatican.

"Starr's beef with the Vatican goes way back since the '70s. In 1975, Starr played The Pope in writer/director Ken Russell's musical film, Liztomania. In the film, in order to get married, Liszt (Roger Daltry) and Carolyn (Sara Kestelman) travel to the Vatican to get her divorce approved. During their meeting, the fictional pope said, "Truth is stranger than fiction? We've kept going for two thousand years on that one.""

Not sure Ringo really has a beef with the Vatican, and also not sure if they are aware of Lisztomania, but happy to celebrate Ringo.

The Newsweek article is by Jorge Solis, 7 July 2020
https://www.newsweek.com/his-birthday-lets-remember-time-ringo-starr-dissed-pope-1515931

Michael

Re: Lisztomania
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
Funny you bring this up.  I dusted off my old VHS copy (which ended up looking pretty good, I must say) and had a watch (it had been years).  I enjoyed it too!  Lots of what I think you would call "bold imagery" (more than several nods to Fellini) and fun and rock n roll and Ringo Starr is hilarious.  My girlfriend could hardly contain herself (she loves "Tommy").  Historically, it appears that perhaps "Listzomania" was the film that Ken wanted to make BEFORE "Tommy", but didn't have the resources.  But after the success of "Tommy", there was no holding Ken back!  Bottom line:  I think the film holds up well.  But I am SURE there are many others who would disagree violently!   Glad to see this forum up and running!  Michael Thomas Roe.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:27:16 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline spasmo

Lisztomania
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 04:28:12 PM »
I cound manage to find an old vhs of this strange masterpiece (and of Valentino) in a Hungarian video store. I've made a copy for myself the same day and watched it. It's the craziest film I've ever seen. Ringo Starr is hilarious as the pope and the final musical number "Peace At Last" (sung by Daltrey) has become a favourite of mine immediately. I really enjoyed this hysterical and bizarre comedy. Wasn't the whole crew and cast completly stoned during the shooting? I only wonder...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:16:28 PM by Iain Fisher »