Author Topic: psychoanalysis in 4:48 Psychosis- Rowan  (Read 8782 times)

Offline archive

Re: psychoanalysis in 4:48 Psychosis- Dan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:48:46 PM »
f*ck it. I hit return instead of clicking mouse button in comments box on previous reply. Hence "no comment". But that would suffice in itself! I have been reading through the discussions board and feel compelled to write to you. To start: My theory on the application of "psycoanalysis" as presented in 4:48 Psycosis IS the death of the patient, err, client, err, customer. I have the book of the play in front of me. There are so many schools of thought....... "Drowning in a sea of logic". I saw the play at the Royal Court when it came out. I clapped a lot. Loudly. It wasn't going to be put on. And that would have been a loss. There is a lot of people who understand exactly what she said. Whether they have seen the play or not. And this is what it is all about. There is a lot of very bad sh*t going down. And it is very good for buisiness. I've just thought of one of those throw away pub asides that flitter across the memory, "The operation was a complete success, unfortunately the patient died on the operating table"....... Look at the difference between what is said and what actually happens. I remember sitting on the side of a hill looking out over a lake with a mate of mine. Summer. The air as sweet as honey. A breeze swept accross the valley, stirring the still waters of the lake. Swirling patterns formed on the surface of the waters, grouped together, forming a kind of dance. The pair split into four spirals. Patterns within patterns. And then came back together as a pair, and then dispersed. I remember going on a brief tour of a university prior to my "A" level results. Chaos theory was becoming mainstream. A computer model of turbulance initiating within certain perameters showed whorling vorticies forming. The budget was used up for two to three seconds of computer time. INSIDE. I often wondered what a Barium cloud experiment was for........ I have been terrified of prisons and mental institutions, and only found another kind of prison. Perhaps time is the construct of a mind that fears to let go. Anyway, It's a long old road, and these walls are closing in. Not before I get my hands on another gin and tonic. Tread carefully. There is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. So...........

Archive 3-3-2004
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 12:23:13 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

Re: psychoanalysis in 4:48 Psychosis- lucy
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:46:16 PM »
hello rowan, your front sounds very intersting. a few years back i saw a production of Blasted at around the time when it was vilified, and her tensions and message were extremely hard hitting. i do not myself suffer from depression, but find the routines, qurks and rhythems of human life and interaction endlessly fascinating, as they indeed are. i since began to look at her other work, and am exploring 4.48 psychosis at the mo, havine seen a production of it at the edinburgh festival. and would be interested in how your research influenced you,and would love to pick your brain on underlying grievances in it, please write back, luc x

Archive 1-12-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:17:20 PM by Iain Fisher »

Offline archive

psychoanalysis in 4:48 Psychosis- Rowan
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:45:37 PM »
Hello all, I'm new to this type of forum so please foregive any faux pas on my part. Don't really know how to word this, but I've been asked to do a presentation applying the theories of psychoanalysis in the theatre to the playtext of 4:48 psychosis. I am only at the beginning of my studies - hence why my wording of my area of research is so poor - but I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on the theory's application to this piece of Sarah Kane's work? I have a personal interest in her work as well as, like many of you, I too suffer from severe depression and am only relatively recently back out of hospital again. For this reason her work has touched me deeply and I am doubly interested in what you have had, and hopefully will have to say. Thank you for your time, I look forward to hopefully hearing from you.

Arhive 8-11-2003
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:17:28 PM by Iain Fisher »