Savage Messiah: Ken Russell > Savage Messiah: Ken Russell

Variety: Ken set to direct Off-Broadway play

(1/4) > >>

Iain Fisher:
The final performance is 4 Jan 2009.

Any rumours of it going elsewhere?

John Gargo:
Mindgame Review (of sorts)

Just came back from Mindgame.  I thoroughly enjoyed it... The Soho Playhouse is a cozy little place, and it really helped the subtly claustrophobic aspect of a play whose action, over the course of roughly two and a half hours, occurs in one room.  I also spotted Mr. Russell himself in the front row (with I think his wife along with some friends) and he was very gracious to sign my playbill for me, after identifying myself to him as "something of a fan."

The three actors were excellent.  Lee Godart and Kathleen McNenny were both fine in their roles, but predictably Keith Carradine stands out.  He's given a real "meaty" role, and I really got a sense that he had a blast with it.

The play itself may not be the most original thing out there, but it's got a deliciously pitch-black streak of humor running through it.  The audience (a little over half full I'd say) was really into the play, and they responded very well to the darkly humorous proceedings.

I can see what attracted Russell to this project.  The play makes full use of its visual trappings, there are some thematic elements that the director has touched on before (such as one scene in particular with potentially homosexual repression that drips with tension) and there's a neat bit of Russellian kitch in a nurse's wardrobe.

Yes, this got some lukewarm reviews, but this is nothing new with Russell, but I had a really good time with it.  There were moments of real tension and wit, and I had a big stupid grin throughout, sort of like watching an old Hammer film.  This sort of thing has been called "old fashioned," but that's missing the point... we're often in on the joke, and at the end we're quite surprised when we realize that the play may have pulled a fast one on us as well when we weren't looking.

Nick Jones:
More pictures, from the curtain and party after:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/123207.html

Iain Fisher:
What was it like?

Iain

John Gargo:
I'm seeing this Friday, November 21st.  I'm really excited..  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version