Author Topic: 1 Director, 10 Actors, 11 Questions  (Read 5941 times)

Offline BoyScoutKevin

Re: 1 Director, 10 Actors, 11 Questions
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
Well, I am glad she is better.

Ken Russell, director
Who taught you your love of classical music, or were you self-taught?

Next time: The Old and the Bold

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 10:46:37 PM »
Imogen Millais-Scott, who is so good in Salome, had severe health problems.  During the filming she was almost blind- you can see in one scene where she picks something from a table that her hand searches for the object.  Amazing that you don't otherwise notice.

She had other health problems which meant she couldn't do the dance sequence, so Ken looked for someone else to do it and ended up with a male, which was then developed in the script.

She seems to have gone through a lot but after transplants seems to be much better.
www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/newsroom/life_stories/story.asp?id=36

Ken told me if he could have got in touch with her he would have loved to work with her again.

Her role in Salome was a great achievement.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »
Rudolf Nureyev, actor/dancer
You acted. You danced in "Valentino," directed by Ken Russell. As a dancer, which one was more difficult for you, the acting or the dancing?

Imogen Millais-Scott, actor
Your last acting role was in "Salome's Last Dance," directed by Ken Russell. Why no more acting roles after that?

To be continued . . .

Offline BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »
William Hurt, actor
"Altered States"
Many film roles. Many films. But your first  theatrical film role was in "Altered States," directed by Ken Russell. As a neophyte film actor, how was he as a director?

Drew Barrymore, actor
"Altered States"
Same question.

Amanda Donohoe, actor
"Lair of the White Worm"
Thinking it perverse, some actresses will not kiss a teenage co-star. But, you--seemingly--had no problem kissing your teenage co-star in a film directed by Ken Russell. Why?

Chris Pitt, actor
"Lair of the White Worm"
When you auditioned for the role of Kevin in a film directed by Ken Russell, you--apparently--agreed to do a scene with full frontal male nudity. But, when you had to do the scene, you--apparently--refused. Why?

To be continued . . .

Offline regal26

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 04:13:10 PM »
Michael Caine, actor.

I think that 'The Ipcress File' by Sidney J. Furie is the best simply because
it obviously was the first and most original as an alternative to the Bond films (although both the Palmer films and Bond films were produced by Harry Saltzman). The sequels (even Russell's) and the TV specials are weaker.

Oliver Reed, actor.

I think the performances are both exceptional. You can't really compare one
to the other.

Glenda Jackson, actress.

From what I understand she doesn't care for either one as she keeps her Oscars in the broom cupboard and didn't bother going to the ceremonies.

Alan Bates, actor

Actually, Bates was evasive when it came to questions about his private life. Besides, an actor's sexuality should not define how they play their roles. A good actor should be able to play any kind of role and Bates certainly had an amazing versatility in a variety of films and plays (not to mention good looks).

One should also mention his stellar performances in...
A Day in the Death of Joe Egg         dir. Peter Medak
The Go-Between                            dir. Joseph Losey
Butley                                           dir. Harold Pinter
An Englishman Abroad                    dir. John Schlesinger

Offline Iain Fisher

• Administrator
    • Iain Fisher
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
Michael Caine, actor
"Midnight in St. Petersburg," "Bullet to Beijing," "Billion Dollar Brain," "Funeral in Berlin," "The Ipcress File." Five appearances as Harry Palmer. Douglas Jackson, George Mihalka, Ken Russell, Guy Hamilton, Sidney J. Furie. Five different directors. Who was the best and why?

Don't know but not Billion Dollar Brain.  I found his Palmer roles as a bit boring, I was a Sean Connery James Bond person.

Oliver Reed, actor
"Women in Love," "The Devils," "Tommy" In which one did you give your best performance and why?

The Devils, but Women in Love is powerful.  In both he stretched himself.

Glenda Jackson, actress
You won your first Oscar for your role in Ken Russell's "Women in Love." You won your second Oscar for your role in Melvin Frank's "A Touch of Class." Which Oscar meant more to you and why?

Women in Love is easily the best.  A Touch of Class was funny and sad, but I suspect it has dated a lot- I need to watch it again.  She got the role after she appeared in a British TV comedy, the Morecombe and Wise show.  The director of ATOC didn't think Glenda could do comedy till he saw that, then gave her the role

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=glenda+jackson+morecombe&view=detail&mid=B73085FED84EA4E90969B73085FED84EA4E90969&first=0

Alan Bates, actor
As an admitted bisexual playing a bisexual character based upon a bisexual writer in Ken Russell's "Women in Love," did your bisexuality help or hinder you in your performance?

He was such a good actor he could do anything.  Lisi (Ken's wife) said he was a nice, very shy modest person.

Offline BoyScoutKevin

1 Director, 10 Actors, 11 Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »
Michael Caine, actor
"Midnight in St. Petersburg," "Bullet to Beijing," "Billion Dollar Brain," "Funeral in Berlin," "The Ipcress File." Five appearances as Harry Palmer. Douglas Jackson, George Mihalka, Ken Russell, Guy Hamilton, Sidney J. Furie. Five different directors. Who was the best and why?

Oliver Reed, actor
"Women in Love," "The Devils," "Tommy" In which one did you give your best performance and why?

Glenda Jackson, actress
You won your first Oscar for your role in Ken Russell's "Women in Love." You won your second Oscar for your role in Melvin Frank's "A Touch of Class." Which Oscar meant more to you and why?

Alan Bates, actor
As an admitted bisexual playing a bisexual character based upon a bisexual writer in Ken Russell's "Women in Love," did your bisexuality help or hinder you in your performance?

To be continued . . .